Monday, September 26, 2011

Grandma's Molasses Cookies

These are my all time favorite cookies for a number of reasons. First, the taste can not be beat.  Second, they couldn't be easier to make and the cookies come out perfectly every time I make them. Finally, and most importantly, they remind me of spending time in my Grandmother's kitchen and eating them fresh out of the oven.  This weekend my entire family reunited at the house where my father and his siblings grew up.  My cousin and his wife recently purchased the house and it was so nice to all be together again in a place where so many memories were born.  These cookies have always evoked a certain sense of nostalgia for me, but when they were on the menu yesterday at the home where my Grandmother perfected the recipe, they were doubly special. 








Grandma Jean's Molasses Cookies

3/4 cup shortening
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 egg
1 cup sugar, plus additional 1/2 cup for rolling
1/4 cup molasses

1) Melt shortening and let cool. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. 


2) In a large bowl, combine egg, sugar, molasses, and shortening and beat with an electric mixer until well combined. Add the flour mixture to the bowl and beat until it is well incorporated. Wrap the dough in wax paper and chill for 1 hour. 


3) When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Shape tablespoon-sized portions of the dough into balls and roll them in sugar to coat.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. 


Note:  A trick my mom taught me is to place cookies that are still warm on a paper grocery bag that has been cut open and laid out flat on a table.  Somehow this makes the perfect cooling rack for cookies and absorbs some of the grease. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment